Monday, August 28, 2006

Third Day of Classes

Here I am, still alive and well. Mondays, unfortunately, are a busy day for me. I do a lot of running around. I had classes from 8-10, then I have work-study from 12-2, then I have Honors from 4-6, then I am going to the school newspaper meeting at 7. So I am a busy girl. I was telling someone about how different it is to be so independent. I pretty much run my life and that's it. At home, every decision I made directly affected others - my family, friends, obligations. People relied on me for various things. But here I am only responsible for my own life. It's just me. Which is interesting, and fortunately, I think I have been raised to make good choices. But at the same time, it kind of bothers me. No wonder people always say that college students live in a bubble. We have no connection to the real world. In the real world, everything I do is entwined with someone else or some higher goal. Here my goals are to keep up my scholarship, have fun, and graduate. Not very earth-shattering

Of course I have other, deeper goals. Especially in terms of my walk with Christ. Although I go to a Christian school and I am in a Christian environment, I am starting to really see that true believers are definitely outnumbered my unbelievers. So there are temptations and trials here just like at any other place. Although I have met some great people, I also have met some who are so-so. And some really odd ones. But I think that this environment has really helped me to grow in Christ - but not because everyone is always talking about God or something. As a matter of fact, it's quite the opposite. Like I said, there are believers, but the majority are not, and, just like when I was in public school, I constantly need Christ to be my support and strength. However, unlike public school, I do not feel constantly dragged down by the world and influenced negatively by my non-Christian friends. Instead, I am challenged by what I learn in class or at the church I have been attending. So instead of always being discouraged, like I was in a public school environment, I find that this situation is a great place to grow. That is encouraging, but I still have so far to go. I know that there are many things to combat here, and I also know that there are a lot of decisions I will need to make. So I am praying that God will give me wisdom.

By the way, I have found a good church. It is the church that Lizby goes to (I think, though I haven't seen her there at all). It is a PCA church, but it is reformed so I will overlook the Presbyterian part. It is the only mixed race church in the area, which is a shocker. But becuase of my politically-correct schooling, I refuse to go anywhere that is segregated. The pastor is black, and he is great. He teaches exegetically (spelling?) which I am used to, and while his sermons may lack in "depth" in terms of his ability to link things to the OT, he is an excellent exhortative preacher. I always feel challenged after them. He just finished the book of Phillipians, so I am wondering what he will do next. A lot of students go there, and I have already sort of labeled them as strong Christians, so the fact they attend Redeemer is a good sign to me. So that prayer request has been answered.

I miss everyone, of course. I have AIM now (if anyone who reads this has it). If you want my sn, just ask.

6 Comments:

At 8/28/2006 10:58 AM, Blogger steveswife said...

Hi Lea. I love your blog--glad you're having a good start to the college experience. So much wisdom you have (about the bubble, etc.)! I'm quite sure that I was not thinking that clearly about my situation when I was in college. You are definitely missed at church. The "Schumacher Pew" just isn't the same without you.

 
At 8/28/2006 3:04 PM, Blogger Elisabeth said...

Ok, Lea, I know I'm the odd one, but did you have to make it so public???


just kidding! Um, yeah, ditto. I'm excited to try Redeemer soon. See ya!

 
At 8/28/2006 6:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok Lea, so what's wrong with Presbyterianism??? No matter...Tim

;-)!

 
At 8/29/2006 12:50 PM, Blogger Elisabeth said...

my dad wanted to make sure you knew he was just kidding

 
At 8/29/2006 2:55 PM, Blogger Lea said...

I totally thought it was Tim the Reformed University Fellowship leader and I was so scared...I was like, Oh no, now he is going to not like me anymore!

Thank you Mrs. Ruegsegger - I miss CMC and everyone there too!

 
At 9/04/2006 1:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's ur sn hun? Mine is jacksparrowgal99 (go figure huh?) It would be fun to virtually "hang".

 

Post a Comment

<< Home